Tuesday 6 December 2011

Beirut

I don't know how many of you know of the band called Beirut. I discovered it listening to a song covered by Florence + the Machine called 'Postcards from Italy', which I found enthralling and absolutely beautiful, so I had to listen to the original version, and then to all the songs ever written by Beirut, which is a precious bunch.

There's something you should know about me. My taste in music has varied over the years for different reasons, letting these be fashion trends, what my friends listened to, my relatively "emo" phase (in which I mainly listened to My Chemical Romance, band with which I've built a strong bond after those months), my Beatles phase, my heavy metal phase (which lasted a week) and a long etcetera. But, ever since I came back to Spain and started a completely new life to the one I'd had back where I lived, things changed, I changed and, in turn, so did my music taste, or at least the way I look (or listen ^^) to music.

From finding Regina Spektor, my obsessions in the past three years go through Phoenix, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks, Arcade Fire, Belle and Sebastian, Death Cab for Cutie, Foo Fighters... Only recently have I found a perfect balance and my real taste in music, and it's rather unique, I think. I look for in music what I look for in life, any sound or lyric that makes me feel deep inside it's the music for me. I'm very much like that, especially recently- I won't do something my ... intuition, let's call it, "tells" me or makes me feel like it's what I should do. So, the bands which have achieved this in a way that is almost unthinkable are Florence + the Machine, as my friends all know, Beirut, the band which I would want to have as the soundtrack to my dreams,  Bon Iver, which is... just... amazing, Mumford & Sons and Radiohead. There are more, but these affect me most of all. I think there's a pattern , I like bands which are based on folky, indie sounds (like ukeleles and so on ^^), that are very centred on the voice, and less on making complicated background music, and if they have a tinge of magical flow (like Florence), I'm in love.

Just wanted to share a little bit of my mind to you, because music is such a huge part of my life, and a huge source of inspiration for art.

This is a wonderful song on a take-away show of Beirut's singing one of my favourite songs of theirs (and in general), 'The Penalty'. Oh and I'm in love with the singer. In LOVE.

What's your favourite song? (:
xxC

1 comment: