Thursday 25 June 2015

so, here's to life

When I was sixteen I became increasingly confident in my aesthetic choices and inclinations; what I liked looking at, listening to and reading. There was a clarity of self that I was proud of and found essential to the artistic work that I did or planned on doing. There was a peace and a confidence I enjoyed relentlessly and even bragged about (mostly to myself, may I note). When I turned 21 I realized how much of this pristine view I had lost. And, in a way, how much of myself I had lost, too. For a while I judged myself on my losing this innate part of me, which I felt aided me in everything I created. I have since begun the long and painful process of mourning this loss and accepting it as a blessing. Embracing the fact that I don't have to subscribe to a specific aesthetic which may have once defined me but no longer does is in a sense an aesthetic choice in itself. I have begun accepting I don't have to subscribe to an artistic path like I don't subscribe to a specific religion, sexual orientation or even gender identity. The freedom that comes with this realization and embrace is difficult and painful, despite the fact that I do believe it is a form of freedom. 

This year has been a struggle in countless ways, and in ways that I find difficult to put into words. My mental health has been at its most strained as has been my love for what I do. I constantly have to remind myself that from struggle often stem the most beautiful and rewarding experiences, even art. I remind myself that pain is power and knowledge, and that identity struggle is a part of human life. And yet. And yet I keep thinking of eighteen year old me, secure in her ability even in times of stress; her will to go on because her vision is bound to be realized. I think of her and I think of me and the disconnect is so evident that I don't know how I will ever reach a point of security and love like that again. And I know what I should be thinking, how I should be reacting to change. I should be and in a way am proud of who I'm becoming and the path that I'm taking on. But the insecurity that comes in creating work that isn't a full representation of what I want to be or living a life full of anxieties I have no control over is exhausting at best and threatening at worst.

Here's to completing a full circle, jumping down and reaching the floor bloody and filled with scars but alive. Here's to future me waking up and living and continuing on making the world around me feel like it could be mine. Here's to me wrapping my wounds in the scraps that surrounding me and climbing back up towards the light. Here's to life.

1 comment:

  1. (bueno, yo te escribo en español porque aunque amo lo maravillosamente bien y poético que escribes en inglés, no domino lo suficiente para decirte todo lo que quiero ❤️)

    no he tenido la suerte de conocer quién eras con dieciséis años, ni quién fuiste los dieciséis anteriores, pero sí quién has sido los últimos cuatro, quién eres. admiro muchísimo a la gente que se tiene muy clara a sí misma desde muy pronto, siempre lo he hecho, quizá porque yo siempre he mantenido una batalla conmigo misma (o contra, más bien) por ser quien siempre había querido, quizá en parte también porque cuando he conseguido ciertas cosas ya no me sentía del mismo modo y me enfadaba conmigo misma, por no entenderme. por cambiar. pero, está bien, cris, está bien cambiar, porque el cambio es evolución, es mejora. siempre hay tiempo para rectificar, volver. me llena el corazón saber las reflexiones a las que llegas, el conocimiento de ti misma que te pides y te consigues, la sinceridad y aceptación (y no negación) de todo lo que eso implica. no puedo decir si la antigua cristina de la que hablas es más bella que la de ahora o al revés, porque estoy segura en que en cada una de ellas, ha brillado algo de ti, en ti, en quien te ha acompañado. no tengo ninguna duda de que recuperarás totalmente la confianza y el amor en ti misma, y en lo que haces, porque sé que hay muchas veces que piensas que no lo has hecho lo suficientemente bien y ESO es precisamente una de las cosas que mejor te retrata: la insaciedad de mejora, las constantes ganas e ilusión por ser/hacerlo mejor, el esfuerzo hasta último segundo. y eres la luz, el color, el movimiento, la magia, el aire, que emanais tú y todo en lo que pones un trocito de corazón. estoy segura de ello, y de que te irá bien, que encontrarás trabajos, cosas, personas y situaciones que te harán feliz como nunca creíste pero que, como sabemos todos los que te conocemos, te mereces absolutamente. eres un regalo de la vida, del cosmos, no sé de quién o qué, pero lo eres. verte compartiendo todo esto, tu lucha, tu sinceridad, tu abrazo a la vida por lo que es y como es, aunque no siempre sea bonita, aunque se ponga perdida de sangre, alivia, cura, y es precioso. como eres tú. tienes una forma de pensar y de mirarte a ti misma y al mundo con una honestidad y una belleza poco común y necesaria. te lo digo muy en serio cuando te digo que te celebro constantemente. eres la clase de artista que cualquier persona quiere admirar, pero es que también eres la clase de persona que cualquiera quiere en su vida, y eres única. gracias por absolutamente todo, por ser partícipe de la preciosa imagen de verte ser quien eres.

    ReplyDelete